|Technical notes: Special Considerations for Programming in Unstable Situations (UNICEF, 2000, 490 p.)|
|Chapter 19 - Annex 1: Types of Latrine|
Aqua privies consist of a squatting plate or seat above a small septic tank from which effluent drains to an adjacent soakage pit (see Panel 7).
· These systems normally require a minimum size water tank reservoir of 1 cub.m capacity (1,000 litres).
· Flushing for each defecation takes approximately 5 litres.
· The water reservoir needs frequent filling.
· Always ensure that hand washing facilities are provided close to the aqua privy.
· Aqua privies are less prone to blockages when compared with water-seal latrines. But, this type of system is not recommended where solid materials are used for anal cleaning, or where water is scarce, as the system requires a relatively large supply to operate properly.