|Treating Measles in Children (Document & Slides) (WHO - OMS, 1997, 60 p.)|
|Part 5. GENERAL MANAGEMENT|
Vitamin A is recommended for children with measles in the following situations:
· in areas where measles case fatality is probably more than 1%
· in areas of known vitamin A deficiency
· in all cases of severe complicated measles.
· Give the first dose of vitamin A to the child immediately on diagnosis.
· Give a second dose the following day. The reason for the second dose is to make sure that the body stores are built up again, even if the child has diarrhoea and is very ill.
· Inform the mother about the importance of vitamin A, and provide her with the second dose for giving at home. Give her the exact number of capsules to avoid accidental overdosing.