Policy and Regulations
Any nations strategy for medicinal plant development needs to
consider both current and potential policies and regulations. Among points each
nation needs address are:
· Is the use of medicinal plants encouraged in healthcare
· Are there policies for conserving medicinal plants and
incentives to encourage local community participation?
· Is there a
policy for restoring plants harvested in the wild?
· Are there
incentives for collectors and farmers to keep the production of medicinal plants
· Does the government support research into these
· What are the policies regarding the export of medicinal
· Are only raw materials exported?
· Is "in-country"
processing (which may further help the trade in medicinal plants being