|Date||Tue, 20 Jun 2006 08:01:07 -0400|
|Subject||[greenstone-users] Newbie seeking some guidance|
I am wanting to evaluate Greenstone because I believe that it will address the needs of my organisation. I have successfully installed it and wish to set up some sample data, but I'm a little uncertain about how to go about this. The situation is that I have an existing catalogue that is held on an Access database. Some of these but not all are available on PDF, but we wish to hold every item on the library. We have items in three possible languages, English, Dari and Pashtu. Initially because of space concerns we don't want to include the pdf files.
My question is what do I need to do to get the data from the database to greenstone?
After reading the manuals and searching this list I believe that I need to do the following:
1. Set up the metadata for each Access field, do I need to do this for each language?
2. Convert the data from Access to a CSV file
3. Make this a XML file. Will each XML entry be the metadata name? i.e. <ex.Language>English</ex.Language>
4. Some how import this into Greenstone, will this be via GLI, Gather? If so how do I indicate in the XML file the start and end of each item that I wish to include in the collection
5. How would the pdf files be added later?
If this question has already been answered I apologise but could you please direct me to the appropriate place.
Many thanks for your time,