Fwd: Re: [greenstone-users] GLI and titles list

From Azael Barrera, Ph.D.
DateFri, 19 Sep 2003 06:38:38 -0500
Subject Fwd: Re: [greenstone-users] GLI and titles list
The following relates to the use of format to configure the
output of a search. Hope it is useful to others with similar
problem.

>Dear Azael,
>
>This is where you need to use Greenstone's "format statements" to control
>the display of items in lists (search results and classifiers). These are
>described in Section 2.3 of the Developer's Guide, but I'll give the
>basics here.
>
>Format statements are basically HTML, but with the ability to insert
>metadata values and simple control statements (If... Or...).
>
>A fairly standard format statement looks like:
>
>format VList "<td
>valign=top>[link][icon][/link]</td><td>[link][Title][/link]</td>"
>
>This displays a small image ([icon], usually a book or page) linked to the
>HTML version of the document ([link], [/link]). Next to it is the title of
>the document (the Title metadata), also linked to the document.
>
>Now, if you want to display the filename (Source metadata) instead of the
>title, all you have to do is replace [Title] with [Source] in the
>statement above.
>
>Furthermore, if you want to link to the original PDF file (instead of the
>HTML version), you can use the [srclink], [srcicon] and [/srclink] values
>to do this: [srclink][srcicon][/srclink].
>
>The great thing about format statements under Linux is that they take
>effect immediately, so you can alter a format statement in the collect.cfg
>file, reload the Greenstone page, and see the effect immediately. So have
>a play, and you'll soon get the effects you are after.
>
>Hope this helps you get what you want.
>
>Regards,
>
>Michael
>
>PS We did receive your question on the support form, but haven't had time
>to answer it. We do prefer questions to be asked on the list, though.
>
>
>
> > Dear GS users,
> >
> > I am using GLI with GS2.40a over Linux to configure a collection
> > of PDF documents.
> >
> > The PDFs have a random coding in the Properties/Summary/Title
> > which is apparently extracted as the "Title"
> > metadata during the PDFPlugin and HTMLPlugin actions.
> > The real title of the document is represented by the
> > document filename not the Title extracted.
> >
> > How can I set the collection configuration with GLI (Plugin, indexes,
> > classify or format) to have the final document list not showing
> > that random numbering on the Title but the filename, which
> > in this case corresponds to the real title of the document.
> >
> > Moreover, in the final list I do not want the html document
> > showing (its form does not follow the original PDF form)
> > neither its icon but only the PDF icon, the real title and
> > perhaps the filename in parenthesis under the title.
> >
> > I appreciate help on how to setup this.
> >
> >
> >
> ****************************************************************************************
> > Azael Barrera, Ph.D. barreraal@cwpanama.net
> > Professor
> > ICT Technology Transfer and Capacity Building
> >
> ****************************************************************************************
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > greenstone-users mailing list
> > greenstone-users@list.scms.waikato.ac.nz
> > https://list.scms.waikato.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/greenstone-users

****************************************************************************************
Azael Barrera, Ph.D. barreraal@cwpanama.net
Professor
ICT Technology Transfer and Capacity Building
****************************************************************************************