Te Karere Māori 1849-1854
The Maori Messenger
Published: Auckland, January 4, 1849-April 5, 1854.
470 x 310mm., 4 pages with occasional supplements, 4 columns, alternately English and Maori, issued fortnightly, no illustrations except for the Royal Coat of Arms surmounting the title, contains Government advertisements, probably freely distributed. The imprint reads, "Printed and published for the Local Government by Williamson and Wilson" (see The Anglo-Maori Warder for further information on these printers).
This newspaper was probably edited and translated by George Clark.
The last copy seen by Hocken was published on April 5, 1854. This date corresponds to Governor Grey's departure from New Zealand. The paper was reinstated in a new format nine months later (Te Karere Maori).
For further physical details refer to Herbert W. Williams, A Bibliography of Printed Maori to 1900, Item 194.
This paper is written in English with Maori translation.
It was a revival of Te Karere o Nui Tireni and contained similar material. The paper presented issues facing the Government and Maori people, essentially from the Government viewpoint. Hocken stated that "Political and polemical subjects were forbidden, those of general interest and value being alone admitted. Special attention was...paid to the cultivation of land and flax and the management of sheep and cattle" (Otago Daily Times, July 20, 1910).
This newspaper is on microfilm and microfiche. Original copies are held at:
Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington:
Auckland Institute and Museum Library:
Auckland Public Library:
Canterbury Public Library, Christchurch:
Hocken Library, Dunedin:
Victoria University, Wellington: