Themes for Questions - Dorrie Caitcheon
- Date of Birth
- Number of brothers and sisters in family
- Parents occupation
- Area of Hamilton lived in
- rural or urban experience
- relationship of suburb to city/ centre of activity?
- transport around town/means of travel
- Responsibilities to family
- Relationships with parents and siblings
- How did your father's occupation effect your homelife?
- Importance of religion
- similar experience to most young people?
- means of getting there
- Extended family
- what was considered a treat?
- what was something that you remember was rarely eaten/drank
- home remedies or a doctor?
- How did World War Two effect your homelife?
- brothers going overseas
- Secondary school attended
- Liked/disliked school?
- School activities
- social circle?
- Ambitions at highschool
d. Entertainment and Socialising
- Amount of spare time
- What sorts of things did you do in your spare time?
- dances, music, theatre, movies, concerts, picnics
- Ngaruawhahia Regatta
- Going down town on a Friday night
- what was considered a fashionable outfit when you were a teenager?
- Teenage idols; discussion among friends
- Importance of radio and film
- first radio broadcast in Hamilton
- Reading; books, magazines, comics
- How much dating did you do?
- parents attitude
- Effect World War Two had on dating
- American troops in Hamilton
- Involvement in any voluntary organisation for the war effort
- First job
- part time/full time
- Working conditions
- Clubs and sporting activities
- Effect of World War Two on employment
f. Awareness of Issues
- local events
- Fairfield Bridge (37)
- Garden Place Hill (39)
- public figures; local, national, international
- Caro, Hilda Ross
- Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini
- Importance of politics
- attitude of other young people
- Race relations
- were there many Maori families living in your area?See Also