|Conducting Environmental Impact Assessment in Developing Countries (United Nations University, 1999, 375 p.)|
|5. EIA tools|
|5.2 Geographical information system|
• Potential for storing and accessing very large data set.
• Consolidates data from various sources for geographic analysis.
• Effectively performs multiple map overlays, incorporating logical and mathematical manipulations.
• Generates descriptive statistics regarding the distribution of spatial phenomena.
• Allows a number of different scenarios to be investigated quickly and effectively by varying input parameters for successive analysis runs.
• Can generate maps for output to hard copy as well as displaying map information on the computer screen.