|Trainee's Manual on Disaster Preparedness (European Commission Humanitarian Office, 59 p.)|
|Module II. Institutional Mechanisms for Disaster Management in the Philippines|
Under P.D 1566, the Secretary of DOLE, DECS and DTI are mandated to organize and train Disaster Control Groups in factories/industrial complexes, schools/learning institutions and large buildings used for commercial and recreational purposes and conduct periodic drills and exercises.
Under Rule 1040 of the Standard, the HSC/DCG is the planning and policy-making group in all matters pertaining to safety and health factories/industrial complexes.
The DCG is composed of a Chairman, Assistant Chairman, Staff Teams and Operating Teams. The Staff Teams include: Security, Supply, Transportation and Communications. The Operating Teams, on the other hand, include: Warning, Evacuation, Fire Brigade, Rescue, Medical and Damage Control.
B. Duties and Responsibilities
The principal duties of the Disaster Control Group are:
1. Plans and develops accident prevention programs for the establishment.
2. Directs the accident prevention efforts of the establishment with the safety programs/safety performance and government regulations in order to prevent accidents from occurring in the workplace.
3. Conducts safety meetings at least once a month.
4. Reviews reports of inspection, accident investigation and implementation of program.
5. Submits reports to the manager on its meetings and activities.
6. Provides necessary assistance to government inspecting authorities in the proper conduct of their activities such as the enforcement of the provisions of Rule 1040.
7. Initiates and supervises safety training from employees.
8. Develops and maintains a disaster contingency plan and organizes such emergency such units as may be necessary to handle disaster situations pursuant to the Emergency Preparedness Manual for Establishments of the Office of Civil Defense.