|Better Farming Series 37 - Raising Rabbits 2: Feeding Rabbits; Raising Baby Rabbits; Further Improvement (FAO, 1988, 49 p.)|
|Raising your own baby rabbits|
220. As you have already learned, rabbits can have babies often. Female rabbits can have babies six or seven times each year.
221. However, a female rabbit must be strong and healthy and be fed good food to produce healthy babies that many times each year.
222. When you first begin to raise your own rabbits, you should mate your females only four or five times each year (see the diagrams on pages 26 and 27).
223. After you have been raising rabbits for some time and you see that your female rabbits are strong and healthy, you may be able to mate them more often.
224. However, if you do mate your female rabbits more often, make sure that you feed them enough so that they do not lose weight.
Remember, if you mate all of your female rabbits at about the same time, ail of your baby rabbits will be born at about the same time. That way you can easily move them from one female to another if you need to (see Items 186 to 189 in this booklet).
225. Babies will be born four times a year if you mate your female rabbits when their babies are eight weeks old.
226. Babies will be born five times a year if you mate your female rabbits when their babies are six weeks old.