|Better Farming Series 02 - The Plant: the Stem; the Buds; the Leaves (FAO - INADES, 1976, 30 p.)|
|How a leaf is made|
Pick up some leaves of a mango tree or coffee tree. Let us look at them.
· Leaves are usually of a green
colour, more or less dark.
· They are joined to the stem by a stalk called the leaf- stalk.
· The leaf-stalk is continued into the leaf by the midrib.
· Other smaller veins branch out from the midrib. These are the primary and secondary veins.
· The whole flat part of the leaf is called the leaf blade or lamina.