|Better Farming Series 37 - Raising Rabbits 2: Feeding Rabbits; Raising Baby Rabbits; Further Improvement (FAO, 1988, 49 p.)|
|Raising your own baby rabbits|
160. Remember that female rabbits are ready to be mated when they are 4 to 4 1/2 months old, and male rabbits when they are 5 to 5 1/2 months old.
161. So, once your rabbits are old enough (and if they are not sick), you can begin to mate them for the first time.
162. The best time for mating is early in the morning, or in the evening when it is cool.
The best time for mating is in the morning or evening
163. When you mate your rabbits, always put the female into the pen of the male.
Put the female into the pen of the male
164. Watch to see what happens. Usually they will mate quickly. If the male mounts the female and in a short time falls off to one side, mating has taken place.
165. As soon as this has happened, put the female back in her pen and write down the date of mating. This way you will know when to expect the baby rabbits to be born (see Item 171 in this booklet).
Write down the date of mating
166. If the rabbits do not mate after about five minutes, put the female back in her cage and try again the next day.