What can ducks eat?
26. Ducks eat just about everything. So, it is not hard for them
to find enough food for themselves, even if you feed them nothing.
· insects, worms, slugs, snails,
· grass, weeds, roots
· most water plants
· seeds, grain, plant materials
· materials left on the ground after harvest
· damaged or overripe fruits and vegetables
What ducks eat
27. You can also give ducks stale bread and food that is left
after you have eaten.
28. However always remember that ducks must have fresh water
with their food.
29. So, when you look for a place to raise your ducks, be sure
to choose one with a lot of natural food and with enough water for them to eat
Natural food and enough water
30. If you are raising your ducks where there is no fresh water,
see that they have plenty of fresh drinking water.
Fresh water is needed
31. Ducks can also find food to eat in home gardens and farm
32. However, keep the ducks out of your gardens and fields when
the plants are young and tender or the ducks may eat them.
Keep ducks far from young plants
33. After most plants are big, you can let your ducks feed
between the rows.
Let ducks in big plants
34. When your crops are fully grown and you have harvested them,
be sure to let your ducks look for food there.
35. After you have harvested your gardens or fields, your ducks
will find a lot of food that is very good for them to eat which would otherwise
Let ducks in harvested gardens or
36. However, when ducks are in your home garden it is a good
idea to watch them.
37. Ducks may eat snails, slugs, worms and other things on the
ground such as seeds or fallen leaves. However, be sure that they do not eat the
smaller plants as well.
38. You must also be very careful if you have low- growing
berries or fruits for the ducks may eat them too.