|Better Farming Series 11- Cattle Breeding (FAO - INADES, 1977, 63 p.)|
Mamadou is happy to show us his animals. He has a fine herd of cattle.
His herd of cattle consists of:
· 1 male: the male is called the
· 8 females which have already had young ones: the mother females are called cows.
· 6 young ones of less than 6 months: they are called calves.
· 4 young females which have not yet had calves: they are called heifers.
· A pair of oxen for ploughing. These animals have been castrated; they cannot make young ones any more.