Annex No. 11
Mission Terms of Reference Community Services in
Emergencies (Initial Needs Assessment)
The Community Services Officer in the initial stages of the
emergency should undertake a mission to accomplish the following:
1. Together with the BO/OCM concerned assess the
possibility of a needs assessment to identify the number of vulnerable in the
refugee community, i.e. the elderly, children, unaccompanied children, the
disabled, the chronically ill, single-headed (female) households, the mentally
2. Review the possibilities to meet these needs within the
existing structures and the need to develop innovative means if necessary.
3. Assess the participation of the refugees in the day-to-day
management of the refugee situation. In particular, the involvement of women in
decision-making and their participation in the handling of resources. The need
of women staff and interpreters.
4. Develop a system and procedures for continuing management and
handling of assistance in order to establish clear guidelines for the delivery
of services as well as reporting patterns from implementing partners.
5. Undertake visits to the various situations urban/camp based
where refugees are and establish dialogue with them to assess their perception
of the situation.
6. Identify and contact NGOs and Governmental Agencies who could
assist in delivering services.
7. Develop job descriptions for staff who may be recruited to
organize Community Services and establish clear lines of reporting and
8. Conduct brief on the job training for staff and volunteers
who are involved in assisting refugees.
9. Prepare together with the BO a brief informational handout
for the refugees and implementing partners, stating clearly UNHCR's approach,
abilities, and limitations.
10. Any other emerging issues relating to refugee