|Small Scale Irrigation Systems: A Training Manual (Peace Corps, 1983, 82 p.)|
|General program objectives|
|Materials needed for workshop project|
|Using the manual|
|PART A: Workshop sessions, objectives and methodology|
|SESSION I--Opening Statements and Introduction 30 Minutes|
|SESSION II--Climate Setting 3 Hours|
|SESSION III--Soil Classification 4 Hours|
|SESSION IV--Irrigation Safety and Health Practices 1 Hour|
|SESSION V--Topographic Surveying and Land Mapping 3 Hours|
|SESSION VI --Topographic Surveying and Land Mapping 4 Hours|
|SESSION VII--Making Topographic Map 4 Hours|
|SESSION VIII--Making a Topographic Map 1 Hour|
|SESSION IX--Calculation of Irrigation Ditch Size 3 Hours|
|SESSION X-- Designing an Irrigation Ditch 2 Hours|
|SESSION XI--Water Source Measurement and Development 2 Hours|
|SESSION XII--Water Source Measurement 4 Hours|
|SESSION XIII--Social Factors Affecting Change & Community Action 3 Hrs|
|SESSION XIV--Measuring Water Flow & Seepage Loss 1 Hour in an Irrigation Channel|
|SESSION XV--Measuring Water Flow in an Irrigation Channel 3 Hours|
|SESSION XVI--Review of the Week Activity 1 Hour|
|SESSION XVII--Review & Preview 1 Hour|
|SESSION XVIII--Development of Water Sources for 3 Hours|
|SESSION XIX--Climatic Effect on Water Availability and Crop Use Hours 4|
|SESSION XX--Resources Necessary for Irrigation 1 Hour|
|SESSION XXI--Planning and Designing an Irrigation System 3 Hours|
|SESSION XXII--Planning and Designing the Class Irrigation Project 4 Hrs.|
|SESSION XXIII--Designing the Class Irrigation System 4 Hours|
|SESSION XXIV--Layout of the Class Irrigation System 4 Hours|
|SESSION XXV--Review of Class Project - 1 Hour|
|SESSION XXVI--Agronomic Practices under Irrigation Agriculture 3 Hours|
|SESSION XXVII--The Economics of Irrigation 3 Hours|
|SESSION XXVIII--Review of 'cork Group Objectives 1 Hour|
|SESSION XXIX--Irrigation Laws and Regulations 1 Hour|
|SESSION XXX--Surface and Subsurface Drainage 1 Hour|
|SESSION XXXI--Workshop Review 2 Hours|
|SESSION XXXII--Workshop Evaluation 1 Hour|
|SESSION XXXIII--Closing Ceremony 1 Hour|
|PART B: Instructional units|
|General Objective: Soil classification|
|General Objective: Irrigation safety and health practices|
|General Objective: Topographic surveying and land mapping|
|General Objectives: Water source measurement and development|
|General Objectives: Social factors that affect change and community cooperation|
|General Objectives: Climate and its effect on stream flow and other water sources and seasonal water requirements of crops.|
|General Objective: Resource identification|
|General Objective: Irrigation system planning and design|
|General Objectives: Agronomic practices for irrigation|
|General Objective: Economic Evaluation and Feasibility|
|General Objectives: Irrigation laws and regulations|
|General Objectives: Identifying and correcting drainage problems|
1. Irrigation Principles and Practices, Peace Corps, Program and Training Journal Report Series Number 5, dated January 1969.
2. Small Scale irrigation, Peter H. Stern, Intermediate
Technology Publication Ltd./International Irrigation
Information Center, dated 1979.
3. Soil-Water Plant Relationships, KSU/CES Publication Number MF 466, dated September 1978.
4. Using a Level, KSU/CES Publication Number AF-19, dated June 1979.
5. Terrace System Options, KSU/CES Publication Number Af-74, dated March 1981.
6. Farm Pond Maintenance, KSU/CES Publication Number AF-3, dated November 1978.
7. Contour Farming Pays, KSU/CES Publication Number R-14, dated January 1974.
8. Useful Irrigation Data, KSU/CES Publication Number I-7, dated February 1976.
9. Grain Sorghum Irrigation, KSU/CES Publication Number I-6, dated March 1975.
10. Irigation Soybeans, KSU/CES Publication No. I-5, dated October 1975.
11. Irrigating Corn, KSU/CES Publication Number I-1, revised February 1977.
12. Pipelines for Irrigation, KSU/CES Publication Number I-2, dated September 1967.
13. A Concept of Needs, reprint, J. Paul Leagans, The Journal of Cooperative Extension, Vol. 2, No. 2, Summer 1964.
14. A Planning Process (class handout).
15. Stages in Social Action.
16. Human Responses to Change.
17. Identifying the Community Power Actors: A Guide for Change Agents
18. Power Structures, Community Leadership and Social Action.
19. Health Education - A Study Unit on Fecal-Borne Diseases and Parasites, Reprint R-1, Peace corps, 1981.