|Better Farming Series 02 - The Plant: the Stem; the Buds; the Leaves (FAO - INADES, 1976, 30 p.)|
Read pages 4 to 11.
· You must look at each
For example, on page 7 it says: "Let us look at a yam plant."
Go to the field, and look at the stem of a yam.
If there are no yams in your village, look carefully at the drawing.
· You must take good note of how
one stem differs from another or is like another.
Make sure you understand what the stem does.
The buds. How a leaf is made.
Read pages 12 to 18.
· To help your memory, read
again pages 4 to 11.
· Look carefully at buds.
· Take a good look at the leaves you have picked. Look carefully, you will see the veins.
· Learn the new words, such as vein, midrib, leaf- stalk.
What the leaves do.
Read pages 19 to 23.
· Read again pages 12 to
· Leaves change raw sap into elaborated sap.
· Leaves breathe.
· Leaves transpire.
This week's work is more difficult.
You must take longer to study it.
Don't forget to look up the other pages mentioned.
For instance, where it says, "See Booklet No. 1, page 17."
Some practical applications.
Read pages 24 to 29. This is easy work, and not long.
Read again the whole course, especially the work for the third week.