|Where Women Have No Doctor - A Health Guide for Women (Hesperian Foundation, 1997, 600 p.)|
|Chapter 14: Infertility (When You Are Not Able to Have a Baby)|
|What Causes Infertility?|
The main causes of infertility in a man are:
1. He does not produce enough sperm. Or his sperm may not be able to swim to the womans tubes or to fertilize the eggs.
2. He had mumps after puberty that harmed his testicles. When this happens, the man can still climax (ejaculate), but the liquid that comes out has no sperm in it.
3. His sperm cannot leave his penis because he has scars in his tubes from a past or present sexually transmitted disease (STD).
4. He has a swelling of the veins in his scrotum (varicocele).
5. He may have problems during sex because:
· his penis does not get hard.
· his penis gets hard but does not stay hard during sex.
· he has a climax too quickly, before his penis is deep in the womans vagina.
6. Illnesses such as diabetes, tuberculosis, and malaria can all hurt a mans fertility.