Session: 10. Forging rings
Total Time: 1 hour
* To practice cold-cutting
* To forge rings
Materials: Approximately 20-25' of 3/8"-5/16" mild steel round
Step 1. (5 minutes)
Explain the session objectives and
briefly outline the procedures.
Explain that the rings forged during this session will be used
to practice brazing in Session 11.
Step 2. (10 minutes)
Have the participants divide into their
work teams and cold-cut two 10" lengths of 1/2"- round bar.
* As the teams are working, provide assistance when necessary by
reminding them of the cold-cutting techniques demonstrated in Session 4.
* Again, stress the importance of the proper use of the cold
cutter and cutting plate to protect the face of the anvil.
Step 3. (10 minutes)
Reconvene the group and demonstrate the
proper techniques involved in forging a ring and lap.
* During the demonstration, point out the following techniques:
- heating of stock to proper color/temperature forming of
- use of anvil horn to form ring
- determining the
proper length of the stock
* Have them identify and discuss those techniques which are
common to the making of an eye hook or link.
Step 4 (30 minutes)
Have participants return to their work
stations and forge two rings per team.
* Provide assistance and suggestions whenever necessary.
* As teams finish forging their rings, have them assist others
who may be experiencing difficulty.
Step 5. (5 minutes)
Reconvene the group and ask participants
to discuss and share among themselves any difficulties they experienced and how