|Better Farming Series 22 - Cocoa (FAO - INADES, 1977, 32 p.)|
|Choosing seeds and growing seedlings|
4. The grower can buy at research centres
· either selected seeds of good quality He sows the seeds in a nursery bed or in baskets. Later, he plants out the seedlings in the plantation.
· or young seedlings of good quality He plants them straight away in the plantation.
5. But some growers have no research centre nearby.
They can nevertheless have good cocoa plantations by:
· choosing their own seeds,
· sowing their seeds in a nursery bed,
· planting out their seedlings in the plantation.
Nursery bed Is the name for the place where the seeds are sown to make them germinate.