Annex No. 8
Terms of Reference for Community Services Officer
* In an emergency there must be at least
one person with the time, training and experience to address social aspects on a
full-time basis. This could be: a UNHCR Community Services Officer, a
consultant, an official of the Ministry of Community Development and/or Social
Welfare, an NGO Community Services Expert seconded to UNHCR.
Under the supervision of the UNHCR Representative/Charge
Mission, the Social Services Officer
in.........................................will undertake the following
1. Co-ordinate all social services activities;
2. Provide technical guidance and support to NGO social workers
currently working in camps;
3. Provide training to community volunteers; involve them in
structured activities; help define work to be done.
4. Act as a focal point for tracing and family reunification
activities until such services are established;
5. Ensure that women, children, vulnerable groups and
individuals benefit adequately from the emergency assistance programme provided
to the community at large, i.e. food, non-food items and other services;
6. As appropriate, facilitate the establishment of special
services to meet the particular needs of women, children and vulnerable groups
and individuals, e.g. secure housing for single women, community-based
rehabilitation for disabled persons etc;
7. Disseminate and publicize as widely as possible policies
(a) Community participation and
(b) Participation and access to services for women;
(d) Unaccompanied children;
(e) Community-based rehabilitation
for disabled persons.
8. In coordination with the appropriate body,
promote information on prevention of disabilities caused by mines, e.g.
setting-up a mine awareness campaign particularly aimed at